The Castello della Magione (also known as Magione di San Giovanni al Ponte or Spedale di San Giovanni in Gerusalemme alla Magione) is a medieval castle in Poggibonsi (province of Siena, central Italy) that serves as the headquarters of the Militia Templi, an association of the Christian faithful belonging to the Roman Catholic Church. It is an example of a medieval “Mansio” (way-station or lodging) that belonged to the Knights Templar. The castle includes the ancient church and the “spedale” (hospital/hotel for pilgrims in transit to Rome on the Via Francigena.
The castle dates from the 11th century. On 5 September 1140, it was donated by Gottifredo di Arnolfo and Arnolfino di Cristofano, heirs of the founders, to the Monks of the Saint Michael Abbey in Poggio Marturi. The monks entrusted it to the Knights of the Temple, and it became one of the numerous “Mansiones” or “Domus Templi” (Houses of the Temple) along the Via Francigena.
In 1312, when the Order of the Templars was suppressed by Pope Clement V, the Magione was given to the Knights Hospitaller.
The castle, downgraded to a farm, was bought by several owners over the years, among them the Princes Corsini. In 1979 it was acquired by Count Marcello Alberto Cristofani della Magione, who donated it — as it was just being founded — to the Militia Templi as its Magistral See. After the donation, restoration of the entire complex began.
The castle still retains signs of its Romanesque origins, despite some changes made over the following centuries.






